“Metallosis is the term used to describe abnormal buildup and deposition of metallic debris into the periprosthetic soft tissues and adjacent bone from the weight-bearing surface of metal-on-metal joint replacements.”
Metallosis or metal poisoning is a condition in which debris from faulty metallic implants shed from the device. These particles build up in soft tissue and leaks into the bloodstream which can lead to metal poisoning in the blood. The “body” and the “mouth” are one; metallosis does affect the mouth.
- What is Metallosis? What are the causes of Metallosis?
- How does Metallosis affect the mouth?
- What are the treatments for Metallosis?
- Recognizing the signs of Metallosis in the mouth.
- Precautions when treating a patient who has Metallosis.